High fat foods, like delicious turkey skin, can be hazardous to your dog’s health. The skin holds marinades, spices, butter, and oils, and is difficult to digest. High fat foods lead to pancreatitis. Symptoms include vomiting, abdominal pain, and lethargy.
Cooked turkey and ham bones are NOT safe for dogs. They can SPLINTER in the dog’s digestive tract and your holiday may include a pricey and unexpected trip to the emergency and WORSE. Dispose of bones carefully so that your pup isn’t tempted to eat them.
Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic contain sulfides, which are TOXIC to dogs, and can lead to anemia. Onions are more toxic than garlic and cooking them does not reduce their toxicity.
Many dogs love the taste of beer, but that doesn’t mean you should share your frosty brew with your best bud. Any alcohol, and particularly the hops in beer, is toxic, and in some cases, can cause DEATH in dogs.
Specifically WALNUTS and MACADAMIA nuts are VERY dangerous for your dog. They can cause a toxic reaction called “macadamia nut toxicosis”. Within twelve (12) hours of eating them, dogs are unable to stand, vomiting, having tremors, fever, weakness, and elevated heart rate. Usually symptoms go away, but this can lead to DEADLY shock.
Used to spice sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, and other holiday foods, nutmeg can cause SEIZURES and CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM PROBLEMS if your dog ingests it. In extreme cases, it can even cause DEATH. Both sweet potatoes and pumpkin, in moderation, are good for your dog – just make sure they don’t have any nutmeg on or in them before you give them any.
Sage contains essential oils that can cause stomach upset. Best to this herb out of reach from your pup’s paws!
Chocolate, Dough and Batter
We all know that chocolate is a NO-NO, but did you know that dough can actually RISE INSIDE your dog’s stomach, causing severe pain and bloating? Additionally, dough and batter contain raw eggs, which may contain Salmonella. Keep you pup out of the kitchen while you bake and clean up any spills right away.
If you thing your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.