Did You Know:
- Each year an average of 8,900 home fires are caused by grilling, and close to half of all injuries involving grills are due to thermal burns.
- In 2014, 16,600 patients went to emergency rooms because of injuries involving grills
- A failure to clean the grill was the leading factor contributing to the fire in one –fifth of all grill structure fires (19%). In 17%, something that could catch fire was too close to the grill
- Leaks or breaks were the factor in 11% of grill structure fires and 23% of outside and unclassified grill fires
- Gas grills contribute to a higher number of home fires overall than their charcoal counterparts
- Five out of six (83%) grills involved in home fires were fueled by gas while 13% used charcoal or other solid fuel.
Click here to watch a short video on Home Barbecue and Grill Safety